Thursday, April 14, 2011

Catching up

We bought a house last weekend, so we have been busy, busy, trying to get everything in order! The house is under construction, so we aren't moving until August, but we are making a lot of selections now. Anyway, that explains why I haven't posted in a little while, and I wanted to get some cute pictures up of the girls. Today was career day at Elle's preschool, and at first she told me she wanted to be a teacher when she grows up, which I thought fit perfectly, since she loves to pretend she is the teacher all the time, and I explained to her that I used to be a teacher before I became a mommy. I almost thought she would pick a mommy as her career because her very favorite activity right now is what she calls "family". She plays it with her friends at school and with Lauren at home all the time. I've gotten concerned a few times that she's confusing Lauren because she will tell Lauren that she's her mommy. We were in Target a few weeks ago, and she said, "Gracie, I'm the real mommy; she's just the pretend mommy," pointing at me. She will even grab Lauren's hand and say, "Hold mommy's hand, Gracie," or if Lauren gets hurt, "It's ok, mommy will make it better!" all referring to herself. At least Gracie (Lauren) listens to her most of the time, so I'm just enjoying the help! Anyway back to the career day...After thinking about it for a day or two, Elle decided that teacher wasn't the career for her, "Mommy, I think I need to be a princess instead!" This is coming from the girl who has been telling us for months that she's going to princess school when she gets older, so it was very fitting. I'm not sure what they study at princess school, but Elle seems to think it's a viable career option, and I'm not going to burst her bubble yet! And since Elle was dressed as a princess, Lauren, of course, needed to be one too.












Elle at the dentist:
And after we left the dentist, Lauren quickly discovered the floss:


The weather has been beautiful lately, so we have spent a lot of time at the park and the girls have loved that. Ava got to enjoy the swings for the first time, and as you can see, she had fun. I love this girl's infectious smile!

And Elle has suddenly gotten brave on me...she used to be my very timid child and she wouldn't attempt to climb anything or do anything at the park that looked at all scary, but now, she likes to climb everything and she goes on this scary slide at one of the parks (it has no sides!) all by herself; I can't believe how much she's grown up these past few months! We started a reward jar a little while back, and these past few weeks, she has started making her bed every morning, usually without me even telling her, getting dressed in the morning and at night all on her own (although I'm not always a fan of her clothing selections!), brushing her teeth all by herself (and the dentist gave her a timer and told her to brush for the entire time the timer was going and my rule-following first-born brushes every second until the timer runs out!), and really being obedient on the first time I tell her something, at least most of the time!


No comments: