Monday, November 12, 2007

Holding on to Cuddle Time


I just spent the last 30 minutes walking around with my baby girl in the sling lulling her to sleep. She was tired, but of course, fighting sleep, so I pulled out the sling. As soon as I put her in, she curled up her little body and laid her head on my chest. I couldn’t help but relish these few moments of quiet cuddle time with my sweet little girl. Her eyes quickly grew heavy and I laid her on the bed sound asleep. Now that she’s walking and moving more, she doesn’t need as much of this time with me, and though I love watching her grow, I also miss those early days. When she was a baby, she barely spent any of her time away from me. She spent her waking hours playing with me, usually in my arms, and she spent her sleeping hours in the wrap or snuggly or sling. She would cry or only sleep a very short time if I put her down, so I kept her close. It felt so natural and instinctual to always have her near me, and I truly missed her when she was away from me. I loved spending all this time bonding and meeting her need for physical affection. Sure, sometimes it’s inconvenient to have to put her to sleep, but with all the running around we do and with all the independence she gains on a daily basis, I’d rather focus on how much I treasure these moments we spend together. Soon enough she won’t want me to put her to sleep, and this cuddle time will only be a memory. So, I’m glad to hold onto to it for a little longer…

No comments: