Monday, November 12, 2007

"My finger may be small, but I can still wrap my daddy around it"


When I was 6 months pregnant, my mom and I found a cute t-shirt with the above message at a shop in Moab, UT. I’m not a big shopper (I can count the number of clothing items I’ve bought Elle since she was born on one hand), but I knew Kyle would like it, so I gave it to him as part of his Father’s Day present. I suspected that, even though Kyle had lots of grand notions about being this strict father, having a baby girl would somewhat change his plans (we all know how dads are with their little girls!); I just didn’t know how quickly this would happen…A few weeks ago, Elle was having a particularly fussy evening, meaning she would only let me hold her and she didn’t want to be put down. After dinner, I decided to make some chocolate chip cookies, and since I was holding Elle, I had Kyle take them out of the oven. As soon as he got them onto a plate, Elle started to reach out for him to hold her. When he picked her up, she looked at the cookies, looked and him, and gave him the biggest smile, you know, the you-have-something-that-I-want-please-give-it-to-me-now smile. She already knows that if she wants dessert or something else that mommy won’t give her, she can go to daddy and get what she wants. So, what did Kyle do? He, of course, gave his little girl some of his cookie. When she was finished, she immediately reached back out for me. Smart girl! I just can’t wait to see how far this will go; I might have to start complaining if she asks for a nicer car than mine!

No comments: