Saturday, November 29, 2008

Counting down til Christmas...

So, the Advent season starts tomorrow, and I'm really excited about sharing this time with Elle this year, especially since she can understand a lot more about Christmas than in years past. I made a little advent calendar a few days ago and I can't wait to get started! Basically, each little day's bag contains an activity to do with Elle, a short prayer/devotion, and a treat (stickers, a piece of candy, etc.). I also plan to read her a stories each day from a few books (A Story a Day til Christmas, volumes 1-3) my mom sent me that we used when my siblings and I were little, and of course, light the advent wreath while we do the prayer/devotion. I think traditions are so important to creating family memories, and I hope that this will help Elle understand Christmas a little more (that it's not just about presents!). I know that I don't remember many of the gifts I received as a child, but I do remember so many of the traditions we did as a family each year and that's what made holidays so special. Anyway, here's what I'm using for our advent calendar (I'm going to hang them on the mantle on a ribbon, using mini-clothespins):

And if you want some ideas for your own family, here's are list of activities (there's more than 25, so we'll be doing more than 1 some days, or I may switch a few around depending on our schedule):

Decorate the Christmas tree.

Go visit Santa Claus at the mall.

Have breakfast for dinner (pancakes in Christmas and/or Mickey shapes).

Have hot chocolate with all the fixings (maybe make homemade marshmallows).

Wrap a toy and take it to a charity Christmas tree.

Make handmade gift tags, wrapping paper, or cards for relatives.

Christmas party with Elle’s friends—We’ll bring things to donate to charity and wrap and give out presents to Elle’s friends.

Bake sugar cookies together.

Decorate sugar cookies and share some with neighborhood friends.

Help Elle go through toys to give away to charity.

Build a fire and drink cider or boiled custard.

Drive around and look at the Christmas lights.

Making paper snowflakes and color or draw Christmas pictures.

Make a gingerbread house.

Paint Christmas ornaments or Christmas decorations.

Watch a Christmas movie with popcorn.

Look at pictures from last Christmas and talk about all the relatives Elle will see (maybe make flashcards or memory game with family members’ pictures)

Have a fondue night! Chocolate and/or cheese dipped goodies.

Play a game together as a family.

Go to the library and pick out Christmas books to read during Advent.

Have an indoor picnic in front of the Christmas tree.

Have a family dance party—Dance like crazy to Christmas music!

Do a kind deed as a family (maybe bring someone dinner?).

Build a fort and read Christmas stories by flashlight.

Have a tea party.

Go to Kazoing (or some other indoor play place) and have dinner at Chik-fil-A.

Make handprint or footprint reindeer

Make marshmallow snowmen.

Go to the dollar store and let Elle pick out a gift for mommy, daddy, Lauren, and herself.

Christmas Eve Celebration!





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all the ideas, Amanda! Elle and Lauren as so lucky to have such a creative mom!

-Shea